Saturday, September 15, 2007

Trip to the county fair

I went to the annual county fair and cattle show this morning, and just couldn't pass by the Estonian knitting stand without adopting some socks and gloves. They were splendid and screaming to be bought, even for someone who has kilos of sock yarn stashed up at home.


















After I petted a baby alpacca and some mohair goats, I almost bought myself a pink glittery cowboy hat, and visited the crafts exhibition - mostly traditional norwegian crafts, like rosemaling, woodworking, knifemaking, weaving, lace-knitted doilies and wristwarmers, but there were also two very nice and original freeform crocheted handbags.

At the crafts exhibition they sold booklets about 'sprang', an old netting technique mostly used for making small lacy curtains. The book says that sprang is a simple technique and that you only need yarn, a simple frame and some long thin wooden sticks. There is an explanation on how to do it and lots of patterns. It looks really nice, maybe I'll try it someday...

3 comments:

Hanane said...

Hi! I am very interested in the Sprang Booklet, can you tell me who wrote it and who it is published by and maybe if there is a website or email. Thank you!

Hanane said...

thank you

junglejane said...

If you Google "sprang" and "Herborg Wahl", you'll find some information. But only in Norwegian, I'm afraid...