Sunday, December 27, 2009

Røros Mittens

These are a replica I knitted of a pair of traditional mittens (made in ca. 1912) from Røros in Norway. The original pair was photographed on a museum exhibition, and this photo is now in the database of Norway’s “Digitalt museum”.

Here is a link to all mittens in the Norwegian digital museum database. Worth checking out if you’re interested in Selbu mittens! Click on “neste” (means “next”) to see more.

The alpaca yarn is neither warm nor water-resistant, but it was the only yarn available to me that gave the correct gauge. I’ll have to make another pair with another yarn some day… Sheep wool works much better with stranded colour knitting; it clings together and forms a denser and more even fabric. I really like the colours of this alpaca yarn though.

It’s strange how simple all my other stranded mittens look after this project!

Technical details on Ravelry...

7 comments:

Froukje said...

I absolutely love the original and your remake of the mittens. Wow: what stunning examples of the fact that knitting is art!

skb said...

WOW!!! Det var flotte selbu-vottar. Skulle ynskje eg kunne strikke mønsterstrikk, slik at eg kunne strikke slike vottar

somuchyarn said...

Absolutely beautiful What a great thing you have created.

Ia said...

Such beautiful mittens you are doing. I'm just learning to knit properly with several colours and I think I have to do something like this as my "final exam"

stringplay said...

I stumbled into your Ravelry projects page while looking at mittens. I started to comment on one pair when I decided to see what else you had knitted. Oh, my! What wonderful mittens!! (and really ALL your projects; the camel; everything). These are just outstanding.

Flittige hender - Varme føtter said...

I love this :o)

Miranne said...

Fantastisk flotte vottar!
-men linken din virkar ikkje